Unicorns are whimsical, majestic creatures, and this dessert is on the same track - these Unicorn Bars are magically delicious, and will be eaten up in no time!
The batter for these bars is so easy to whip up and bake, and once it’s fully cooled it’s decorating time! For a nice thick layer of piped frosting, double up on the frosting recipe below if you want that extra bit of sugary magic - and don’t forget the sprinkles! You won’t regret eating up these yummy treats!
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sprinkles
For the Frosting (double quantities if you are piping the frosting on rather than spreading it)
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- blue food coloring
- sprinkles for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper and coat with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar. Add in the vanilla, eggs and salt and whisk until smooth. Using a rubber spatula stir in the flour until just combined. Finally stir in the sprinkles.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the edges are set. The bars might seem underdone, but allow them to cool completely.
- For the frosting, in the bowl of the stand mixer, beat the butter for 1-2 minutes until it's smooth. Turn the mixer to low and slowly add in the powdered sugar. Next add in 2 tablespoons of milk and mix on medium speed until it's creamy, scraping the sides as necessary. If the frosting is too stiff add in 1 more tablespoon of milk until the desired consistency is reached. Finally add in 1-2 drops of blue food coloring and mix until a pale blue color is reached and evenly mixed.
- Pipe or spread the frosting on top of the bars.
- Garnish with more sprinkles if desired.