Look no further - this is the only apple pie recipe you need. Bacon Apple Pie, (yes, you heard that right), is ridiculously good, and you just can’t beat the salty-sweet combo you get from the mixture of bacon and apples.
Keep things simple with a store bought pie crust and apple pie filling, then making a gorgeous bacon lattice on top of it all! Don’t forget to keep those bacon trimmings from the lattice - bacon crumble makes a great garnish for serving time!
- 2 cups apple pie filling
- 1 pie crust
- 1⁄8 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 10 -12 slices bacon (uncooked)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a pie dish with the pie crust (do not bake yet).
- Mix apple pie filling, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon juice in a bowl and pour into pie crust. Smooth with a spatula.
- To create bacon lattice on top of pie, lay two strips across the pie so that they intersect in the middle and are at right angles. Turn the pie so that the lower strip points toward you. Continue adding more bacon to the left and the right, creating an alternating over-under pattern with the single strip that runs side-to-side.
- At this point, there should five or six strips of bacon pointing toward the front of the pie and one strip running side-to-side which weaves over and under the other five or six strips.
- Begin laying a strip of bacon next to the on running side-to-side. Start at one end and create an over-under pattern opposite the first one by lifting up alternating strips, laying this piece down, and replacing the strips you lifted. Continue on both sides until the pie is completely covered in a bacon lattice with an alternating over-under weave.
- Trim the ends that hang over the sides. Save these trimmings for use in recipes that call for diced bacon (you can freeze them for later).
- Bake 45-60 minutes, or until bacon is crispy and completely cooked. You may want to bake this over a baking sheet in case apple or bacon grease ooze over the sides.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with ice cream. If desired, you can cook up the bacon trimmings to garnish the ice cream.