Bananas are a seriously underrated fruit. But what if I told you...they're not a fruit at ALL! You heard me.
Get ready for more nuggets of wisdom like that. Let's get started.
1. Bananas grow upside down towards the sun, which is why they're curved.
2. Bananas ripen faster when attached to a bunch.
3. Banana ketchup is incredibly popular in the Philippines.
4. Artificial banana flavoring tastes different than real bananas because it's based on a type of banana that hasn't been around since the 1950s. The banana species it was based off of was attacked by a fungus and no longer exists, which is why we aren't used to the flavor.
5. Bananas are natural diuretics and can help keep your digestive system functioning properly A thief in Mumbai swallowed a gold chain, so he was forced to eat 48 bananas so the chain would leave his body.
If a banana isn't a fruit, then what is it? Keep reading to find out!
6. Bananas are the most popular selling item at Walmart. More bananas are sold each year at Walmart than apples and oranges combined! According to Walmart, more than 1 billion pounds of bananas are sold each year.
7. Banana trees are the world's largest herb, not fruit plant, thus making bananas herbs. In theory, bananas can also be considered berries because they have several seeds and stem from one flower.
8. A bunch of bananas is called a hand, while an individual banana is technically called a finger.
9. In the 1960s, people smoked banana peels to try and get high. It did not work.
10. Banana peels can be used to polish shoes.
11. Humans and bananas share 60% of their DNA.
12. A zoo in the UK banned monkeys form eating bananas because they can cause teeth to rot with their sugar contents.