Picture this: You're on the bus sitting next to a complete stranger and you're scrolling through your phone because you can't think of a way to strike up a conversation with them. It's normal - we all do it. But instead of making a lame remark about the weather, why not ask them a question that will resonate with them?
If you're not a true conversationalist, that's okay! Most people aren't. All you need to know is a bunch of interesting conversation-starters so you can build connections with those around you - both with the people you know and complete strangers. Your life will be a lot richer as a result!
Small talk doesn't carry a whole lot of meaning, and the key to building a relationship with someone in your life is to remember something they said in your last conversation, and bring it up the next time the two of you talk. If you can't do that, it's a good idea to jump right in with a thought-provoking question. Remember, people want to be known, understood, and cared about.
When you meet a person for the first time, it's not a good idea to ask a deep question yet, but you can choose something that's unique and isn't your typical comment about the "uncommon amount of rain we're having."
Here's a list of the top 25 questions you can ask when you're feeling tongue-tied on a date, networking event, party, or in everyday life. Don't forget to adapt them based on who you're speaking with!
Find the questions on the next page!
25 Questions That Will Help You Build A Connection With Anyone
- What’s the most spontaneous thing you’ve ever done?
- If you could time-travel by blinking your eyes, what year would you choose to be in?
- If you could stay a certain age forever, what age would it be?
- What’s the worst job you’ve ever had?
- If you could wake up tomorrow with a superpower, what would it be and why?
- For what in your life are you most grateful?
- What does your dream vacation look like?
- If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would you choose?
- Where do you want to live when you retire?
- Who is your biggest role model?
- What board game do you hate the most?
- Describe yourself in 3 words.
- What are 2 things on your bucket list?
- Before you make a phone call, do you rehearse what you’re going to say beforehand?
- What was the worst haircut you’ve ever had?
- What is the greatest accomplishment so far?
- What is your idea of a perfect day?
- Describe the weirdest dream you’ve had.
- Tell me 3 unlikely things you did today.
- What does your name mean?
- Who do you think is the luckiest person in the room?
- What’s the weirdest thing about your hometown?
- What is one thing you’re looking forward to this week?
- What was the best and worst part of your day so far?
- Are you working on any projects you’re excited about right now?
Was this helpful? Tell us your best conversation starter in the comments and SHARE this post with your friends!