News | Trending

6-Year-Old Suffers Severe Brain Damage After Getting Electrocuted By Resort's Handrail

Rydricka Rosier-Facebook/Ron Cogswell-Flickr

Some of my fondest childhood memories involved visiting new places and fun destinations with my family.

There's nothing like a family trip or activity to bring you closer to your parents and siblings, but things don't always go according to plan. Unfortunately, when you're dealing with kids it's not uncommon for one of them to get sick or injured.

Of course, you can't always predict when things will go wrong, but sometimes these situations can be preventable. This is exactly why the Green family from Maryland have filed a lawsuit against a resort in their hometown.

Last June, seven-year-old Zynae Green was visiting the MGM National Harbor Resort and Casino with her family when she grabbed a "dangerously electrified" handrail while making her way down to an outdoor fountain.

Unfortunately, the young girl was instantly electrocuted and as a result went into cardiac arrest. EMT's had to perform life-saving maneuvers to resuscitate her so she could be transported to a hospital.

She reportedly suffered "severe and permanent neurological injuries," and needed to be hospitalized for two months. She has since been released to a rehab center, where she now requires around-the-clock care.

"Her life-altering injuries will tremendously impact her and her family's lives moving forward," read the complaint filed by the family's lawyers. "She is permanently and totally disabled."

The documents also revealed that Zyane's siblings, five-year-old Carlos Green Jr. and Monya Rosier, 16, were also electrocuted, and although they both had to be admitted to a hospital, they didn't suffer injuries nearly as severe as their sister's.

The complaint, which has been filed against the resort as well as two of its contractors, also indicated that the handrail in questions had 120 volts of electricity going through it, which is 10 times the amount it actually needs.

Adults have been electrocuted to death by volts ranging from 40 to 110, so in a way, Zynae is lucky to have made it out alive.

MGM has since released a statement confirming that the faulty wiring found by the county doesn't meet their construction standards.

“MGM Resorts hires licensed, reputable construction and inspection companies to perform work that meets or exceeds state and local building codes," the statement read. "The findings of faulty wiring contained in a report released by the county shows that the high standards that MGM Resorts expects of those contractors were not upheld, which is very disturbing and disappointing. We do not compromise safety when constructing our facilities."

A representative for the company has since told NBC News that the resort has offered to take on the family's medical bills, but the Greens turned them away.

"We are all heartbroken that Zynae Green and her family continue to suffer. We are committed to continue working with the family’s representative to reach a resolution. In the meantime, we will respond to this lawsuit in the appropriate venue, which is in court," spokeswoman Debra DeShong added.

I can't imagine what the family is going through right now, but hopefully, they're able to get the outcome they're looking for soon.

Awa has been writing for Shared for 3 years. She is a serial snacker who unapologetically loves celebrity gossip. Drop her a line at awa@shared.com.