Trending | News

Children's Advil Recalled Over Overdose Fears

Walgreens (via Pfizer Inc.)

Less than a week after 32 King Bio's children's medicines were recalled over contamination fears, another popular medicine is being taken off the shelves.

This concerning news comes weeks after many other popular products were recalled, such as thyroid medication, heart and blood pressure medication , and foods like Ritz and Goldfish crackers.

While there's nothing actually wrong with the ingredients in the children's Advil medicine being taken off the shelves, there's a lot of concern over the way the company has labeled the product.

Baby Center / Smallflower

Since Advil is over-the-counter, anyone can pick up a bottle, glance at the dosage, and administer the medicine to their child.

The issue is that Children's Advil Suspension Bubble Gum flavor, which is used to treat pain, fevers, and drowsiness, has some confusing instructions.

Customers have complained that the dosage cup were marked in teaspoons, while the instructions on the label were measured in milliliters.

This mismatched dosage information worried consumers that it could lead to overdoses, and the company agreed.

On August 27, Pfizer Consumer Healthcare announced the nationwide recall on their 4fl. oz. bottles.

The recall specifically applies to the bottles distributed between May and June 2018.

UPC #: 3-0573-0207-30-0 / Lot #: R51129 / Expiration Date: 11/20

The company is urging stores to pull the product from their shelves and people to throw out the medication before anyone gets hurt.

"The most common symptoms associated with ibuprofen overdose include nausea, vomiting, headache, drowsiness, blurred vision and dizziness," the company wrote in a statement.

If this high dosage is given frequently, it may cause stomach ulcers and bleeding. And in extreme cases, it can lead to kidney damage, seizures, and coma in children.

If you have any questions regarding this recall, contact Pfizer Consumer Healthcare Information Line at 1-800-882-3845.

Share this recall to spread awareness before a child gets hurt!

Moojan has been a writer at Shared for a year. When she's not on the lookout for viral content, she's looking at cute animal photos. Reach her at