Bacon is just one of those things that people nowadays put on everything. More than ever am I seeing bacon popping up on dessert at restaurants and at home. It’s time to put this fad to the test!
The one ingredient that can bring the bacon to the cupcake is maple! Simply put some maple flavor in your cakes and why not put some in your frosting as well! Topping these delicious cakes with crumbled bacon is the absolutely perfect combination of sweet and salty you’ve been craving!
For the cupcakes:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 box instant vanilla pudding
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup bacon, cooked and chopped
For the frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a muffin tin with paper liners.
- For the cupcakes, mix together the cupcake ingredients in a large bowl using a hand mixer or whisk until well-combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about ⅔ of the way. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs, about 15-20 minutes. Cool cupcakes completely.
- To prepare the frosting, using a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter on medium speed until creamy. Add the powdered sugar, maple syrup, and cinnamon, then continue beating until well-combined.
- Pipe or spread frosting onto cooled cupcakes, then top with chopped bacon. Enjoy!