It's grilling season, and I've decided I want to throw anything and everything I can on the BBQ! Did you know you can even make breakfast with all the fixings on the grill?!
These Grilled French Toast Kebabs are exactly how they sound. Put that loaf of brioche to good use and make peach kebabs, dunk "˜em in a classic french toast mixture, and head over to the grill! We even threw some thick-cut bacon on the BBQ and glazed them in maple syrup for deliciousness to a whole new level! You won't be able to get enough of this - I won't tell if you make this for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!
- Half a day-old 12-inch brioche loaf
- 3 peaches, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Kosher salt
- Oil and paper towel, for greasing grill
- Maple syrup, warm
- Eight 12-inch wooden or metal skewers
- If using wooden skewers, soak for a minimum of 30 minutes before using on the grill.
- Cut brioche loaf into 1-inch cubes, then thread onto skewers with a chunk of peach in between.
- Preheat your grill to medium heat.
- Grill the bacon, basting lightly with maple syrup, and flipping as needed to ensure even cooking, until most of the fat has rendered and the bacon is charred in spots on both sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess fat (if you have a charcoal grill, cook the bacon in a grill pan. It should not be grilled over charcoal because of the risk of flare-ups.)
- Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, butter, sugar, cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl until combined, then pour into a baking dish large enough for the length of the skewers. Put the skewers of bread and peaches in the buttermilk mixture to soak quickly, turning as needed, until the bread has absorbed some of the liquid but is not falling apart.
- Moisten some folded up paper towel with oil, then using tongs, lightly oil the grill. Place soaked kebabs on the grill, turning the skewers a few times as needed to avoid sticking, until the cubes of bread and peaches are golden in most places and no longer wet, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the skewers, and return the bacon to the grill just until warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve the grilled French toast kebabs and bacon with warm maple syrup.