News | Weird | Trending

Boy Suffers Major Burns From Light-Up Shoes And Now His Parents Are Warning Others

The Sun / Yaoota

When something comes into style, every kid will beg their parents to buy that particular piece of clothing for them.

And if it's not too expensive, we'll eventually give in.

Light-up sneakers are the coolest accessory a child can own right now, but how safe are they?

A New York mother is speaking out about the dangers of these shoes after her nine-year-old son was left with second-degree burns on his feet.

He now has a "phobia of wearing shoes"

Sherry Foster shared photos of her son's feet on Facebook, explaining that he was wearing his Skechers S-Light sneakers at school when it began leaking corrosive fluid onto his feet.

According to Metro US, her son, Peyton Foster, complained of pain and struggled to move.

“He wasn’t able to walk, or run, or go swimming, or anything that would cause his feet further irritation," she said. "We had to carry him. There wasn’t much that he could do. I felt horrible, absolutely horrible."

Apparently, the boy's shoes had gotten wet during water day at school.

“When the sneakers got wet that caused them to release a chemical that burnt the bottom of his feet," she added. “He did not complain to his teacher. He waited until the next day until he came home to tell us.”

You'd think that light-up shoes for kids would be safe to wear in any weather condition. Foster was also shocked to learn that they aren't.

Unfortunately, this experience has left her son with a "phobia of wearing shoes."

“I was not warned or had any idea that this could happen, I mean they are shoes made for kids,” she said in an email to Fox News. “My son is a trooper. He is tough as tough gets being it was the first day of summer vacation and he has to have his feet wrapped and is unable to play with his friends or brothers.”

“If parents buy these, I recommend they do not get them wet or jump in puddles. I know kids love them because of the cool lights, but be careful.”

Skechers reached out to Foster and offered a free replacement, but the mother of nine says she is considering legal action.

A spokesman for Skechers said: “Skechers footwear products are rigorously tested for safety. Skechers, a family brand, has sold tens of millions of pairs of children’s lighted footwear worldwide and has not had one incident of chemical burns reported."

The company is further investigating this issue to figure out exactly what had happened.

“Despite the lack of any other similar reported incidents, we are taking this complaint very seriously and giving it the highest priority," they added.

Share this story to spread awareness!

[H/T: The Sun / NY Post / Fox News]

A father is issuing a warning after a popular toy exploded in his son's face. Click here to read more about it.

Moojan has been a writer at Shared for a year. When she's not on the lookout for viral content, she's looking at cute animal photos. Reach her at moojan@shared.com.