One of my favorite snacks is jalapeno poppers, I think the heat and cheese really go together. I love trying to find other recipes that use these flavors and I found a winner with Foodie with Family and there Cheesy Jalapeno Potato Poppers!
These poppers couldn't be any easier to throw together. Start with some leftover mashed potatoes, toss in your salty cheese and spicy jalapeno and you're pretty much ready to fry these delicious bite sized morsels of spiciness!
- 6 cups leftover mashed potatoes cold
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper stemmed then finely minced
- 4 green onions trimmed of the root ends and finely minced
- Oil for frying
- salt for sprinkling after frying
- Mix together the mashed potatoes, beaten egg, grated cheese, flour, jalapeno pepper, and green onions until you have an even mixture. Set aside.
- Heat the oil to 350°F. Carefully drop spoonfuls or use a small cookie scoop to drop small rounds of the batter into the hot oil. Fry for 3 to 5 minutes, or until deep golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the Cheesy Jalapeno Potato Poppers to a paper-towel lined plate to drain and immediately sprinkle with salt to taste. Repeat with the remaining potato mixture in as many batches as needed.
- Serve hot, or chill the leftover, fried Cheesy Jalapeno Potato Poppers on a sheet pan, then freeze until solid and transfer to a resealable zipper top bag.
Recipe by: Foodie with Family