News | Trending

Pregnant Customer Served Cleaning Solution At McDonald's Instead Of Coffee


Every pregnant woman is always trying to do what's best for their baby. Whether it's taking prenatal vitamins, avoiding unhealthy foods, or getting in daily exercise, expecting mothers are extremely cautious.

One woman in Alberta, Canada, was horrified when she took a sip of what she thought was a latte and tasted chemicals.

Sarah Douglas was expecting a delicious drink, but ended up with a sickening surprise. Trip Advisor

Sarah Douglas, who is 32 weeks pregnant with her third child, stopped at a local McDonald's on her way to her son's baseball tournament. She ordered a latte at the drive-thru and as she got on the highway she took a sip.

"I immediately had to put my hazard lights on and pull over and spit it out and rinse my mouth out with ... water," said Douglas. "I opened up the lid of the coffee and out pours this pungent smell of chemical. It wasn't a latte at all."

The watery brown liquid clearly wasn't coffee at all. Douglas turned around and headed back to the McDonald's, where she demanded to speak to the supervisor.

"I showed him the coffee and he had asked if I wanted a new one, and I said, 'Absolutely not, this is unacceptable,'" Douglas told LethbridgenewsNOW. "I said I need to speak to someone higher up and he said he was the only supervisor on at the time, and he gave me his manager's phone number."

The manager told Douglas that cleaning lines were still hooked up to the coffee machine, and even when she returned her coffee they hadn't changed them.

"The supervisor went and got the bottle that was hooked up to it and brought it over to the counter, and I took a picture of it, so I knew what I was working with — what I had consumed so I could talk to 811 and poison control," Douglas said.

Douglas spoke with poison control and planned to visit her family doctor. Doug Brown, who owns that particular McDonald's, released a statement on the matter.

Unfortunately, the milk supply line was connected to the cleaning solution while this guest's drink was made. What happened is that the machine was being cleaned as it is every morning. Unfortunately, the milk supply line was connected to the cleaning solution while this guest's drink was made. We have taken immediate action to review the proper cleaning procedures with the team and have put additional signage up as an added reminder.

Though she hasn't suffered any side effects from the cleaning solution, Douglas is hoping this is a wake-up call.

"As a mother, I want to make sure I have voice and that I'm being heard in terms of the safety of consumers," she said.

What would you have done if you were served this drink?

[H/T: LethbridgeNewsNow]

Meagan has an intense love for Netflix, napping, and carbs. If you have a comment about one of Meagan's articles feel free to contact