Your skin is the largest organ of your body, which means you're easily exposed to millions of bacteria every day.
We know that toilets, public door handles, and money are dirty, but what about things that appear clean, but are actually hazardous to your health?
Some things that keep you feeling and smelling good may be actually harming your well-being in the long run.
Here are eight "clean" things you always touch that could actually be toxic.
1. Hand Sanitizer
There's nothing more satisfying than lathering your hands in hand sanitizer. You feel invincible, thinking you've removed all those germs on your hands. Unfortunately, this strong-smelling antibacterial gel contains a compound known as triclosan, which has been linked to thyroid disease, allergies, asthma, and eczema. Not only that, but the more you sanitize your hands, the more susceptible you are to dangerous infections!
The aluminum in deodorant is what keeps you feeling dry and fresh. Many studies have found that those chemicals clogging up your lymph nodes are linked to prostate cancer, breast cancer, and Alzheimer's disease.
There's nothing that ruins a summer more than a bad sunburn, but many studies suggest that some sunscreens are doing you more harm than good in the long run. Mineral sunscreens contain ingredients like zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, whereas conventional sunscreens contain harsh chemicals like oxybenzone and avobenzone, which may be linked to cancer.
The increasing shift from chemical beauty products to organic beauty products is happening for a reason, and you'll definitely notice this trend when it comes to perfumes and body sprays. Your brain tells you that your perfume smells amazing, but your body is hating you for it. These sprays contain toxic chemicals that may harm your respiratory tract.
5. Store Receipts
It comes hot and fresh from the receipt dispenser, which means no hands have touched it, so it can't be that bad for your health, right? Well, you couldn't be more wrong. Contrary to popular belief, receipts aren't exactly regular paper. They're covered with a powder containing BPA, a chemical that is linked to breast cancer, diabetes, and hormone abnormalities. These chemicals can be easily absorbed through your skin.
6. Laundry Detergent
You'd think those warm, right out the dryer, clothes would be the cleanest thing you could touch, but that's far from the truth. That being said, it all depends on your laundry detergent. If you use detergent that contains harsh chemicals, specifically "phenol," your family may be at risk of developing kidney and liver failure.
7. Newspapers / Glossy Magazines
Think twice before you lick your fingers to turn the page of a newspaper or magazine! Not all modern newspapers are made with soy-based inks. Some contain high traces of toxic compounds. That also goes for glossy magazines, which use heavy metal based inks to produce bright colors.
If you love getting cozy while surrounded by candles, you may just want to stop doing that. Conventional candles are made of paraffin wax, a substance that creates a toxic gas when burned. You may as well just smell diesel fuel while you're at it.