The last several months has been turbulent for a homeless veteran.
Back in November, Johnny Bobbitt Jr. received viral attention after he selflessly gave away his last $20 to fill up a woman's tank of gas after she became stranded on the I-95.
Kate McClure was touched by Bobbitt's generosity and along with her boyfriend Mark D’Amico, created a GoFundMe page to raise money for him to get back on his feet.
In a matter of weeks, Bobbitt received more than $400,000 in donations, and the couple insisted it would be used to change his life for the better.
"The feeling is indescribable and (it’s) all thanks to the support and generosity that each and every one of you has shown," Bobbitt wrote on the GoFundMe page. "I'll continue to thank you every single day for the rest of my life."
However,nine months later it was revealed that only $150,000 of the entire sum remains, and that Bobbitt couldn't access it.
Earlier this month, he told the Philadelphia Inquirer earlier he was back to living on the streets, and believes the couple spent the remaining funds on themselves.
He told the publication he's skeptical the last of the cash remained untouched, as he's seen McClure and D'Amico splash out on a new BMW, vacations and a helicopter ride.
"I think it might have been good intentions in the beginning, but with that amount of money, I think it became greed." Bobbitt said.
Although D'Amico admitted he spent $500 at the casino (which he claims he repaid), the couple said they withheld the money from the 34-year-old because he used the money to feed his drug addiction.
The twosome appeared on the Megyn Kelly Today show, where D'Amico claimed Bobbitt squandered $25,000 within 13 days.
"We saw the pattern developing. Every dollar he ever touched was used for drugs," D'Amico said, adding that he and McClure tried to get Bobbitt to enter rehab, but he refused.
They said after GoFundMe took their cut, $350,000 remained, and allege that $200,000 of the total was spent on his initial stay in a hotel, a trailer, legal fees and court costs, an SUV, TV, laptop, two cell phones, and sending his parents money.
"Also his brother came into the picture and was living [opposite] our property, who is also an addict," D'Amico continued.
However, Bobbitt said the SUV and camper were put in McClure's name, but were eventually sold for $10,000, but he never received the cash.
On August 30, the trio appeared in court, where Superior Court Judge Paula T. Dow ordered McClure and D'Amico to transfer the remaining amount of money into an escrow account within 24 hours, which will be controlled by Bobbitt's pro bono attorneys.
She also demanded the couple hire a forensic accountant to review their financial records within 10 days, to see if they had a hand in depleting Bobbitt's donations.
"The funds should be removed from [D'Amico's and McClure's control] and frozen," Dow reportedly said during the hearing, adding that the money can eventually be spent once the court determines how it will be managed.
"We need to make sure the money is safe while a full accounting is done," said Jacqueline Promislo, one of Bobbitt's lawyers. "More than 14,000 people donated to help Johnny buy a house, but he doesn't have access to the money."
While Bobbitt came out victorious in court, he wished he never had to go in the first place.
"I wish it didn’t come to this. I hate that it came to this," Bobbitt told WPVI on August 30. "I always felt like I was in a weird situation. I didn’t want to be pressuring to get a lawyer or do anything because I didn’t want to seem ungrateful."
Do you think Bobbitt should be given the remaining balance of the donations? Let us know in the comments!