Lawnmowers aren't the safest machines out there, but millions of people around the world use them every day without running into too much trouble.
We all know not to stick our fingers in the blades and turn off the engine to prevent it from getting overheated, but what else?
Freak lawnmower accidents are becoming more common than you think, and one father wants to warn everyone about this overlooked danger when mowing your tall grass.
"It was the scariest thing I’ve seen in my whole life”
It's hard to form a smile after getting 200 stitches down the middle of your face, but 10-year-old Skylar Hedstrom does it with ease.
The Minnesota child was watching her dad cut the lawn when the mower ran over a tool, getting caught in the blade, which flew straight to her face.
The tool left a cut deep enough to expose her skull.
“My wife came running up to me, waving her arms and screaming, pointing to [Skylar],” Brian Hedstrom, the girl's father, told TwinCities.
“I jumped off, turned around and she was standing there, covered in blood. It was the scariest thing I’ve seen in my whole life.”
The family immediately called for an ambulance, where Skylar was transported to a pediatric neurologist and cranial doctor.
“The cranial doctor glued it back together,” Brian said.
Brian posted the severity of his daughter's injuries on Facebook, where he explained Skylar's bravery and outlook on life:
“As I was in a dark ambulance on a 100 mile journey to Fargo I was trying to explain to her what a substantial facial scar may be like…she looks at me through starry eyes and said…‘Dad, it really doesn’t matter what people look like on the outside anyway.'"
Moral of the story
Before you turn on your lawnmower, inspect the area you'll be mowing.
Check for tools or any other kind of sharp objects that may be hiding in tall grass.
Also, make sure you're cleaning your mower to prevent debris from getting flung around.
Share this story to raise awareness
[H/T: Fox News]