Fruitcake is one of those traditions that just won’t go away, so we mine as well change it slightly.
Bananas are a fruit so banana fruit cake can be a thing, right? Well it is now! Same banana bread flavor with a different look, red velvet cake for the holidays and walnuts and chocolate chips for some texture!
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- 4 ounces white candy melts
- Festive sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 2 loaf pans with parchment paper and nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cake mix, eggs, oil, and bananas on low about 20 seconds, then turn up to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Split the batter between the loaf pans, then bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Melt the candy melts in the microwave on 30-second intervals, stirring between, until fully melted, about 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a piping or ziploc bag, then cut off the tip and drizzle evenly over the cooled loaves. Let set about 20-30 minutes, then slice and serve!
- Store at room temperature 24 hours, or in the refrigerator up to 5 days. Enjoy!