Coffee and donuts is usual combo that we have all come to enjoy. Before donuts there was cake! And crumb cake is the best enjoyed with either coffee or tea!
This blueberry crumb cake has wonderful pops of juicy blueberries hidden within a fluffy fresh cake. On top is a layer of crunchy sweet crumbs to add some texture to this outstanding breakfast, lunch or even after supper treat!
- 3/4 cup cake-and-pastry flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups cake-and-pastry flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed, slightly softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup frozen wild blueberries
- 1 teaspoon cake-and-pastry flour
- 2 teaspoon icing sugar, (optional)
- Stir flour, both sugars and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in butter with a fork until crumbly. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray bottom of a 9-in. springform pan with oil, then line with parchment.
- Beat flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment until combined. Gradually add butter until fine crumbs form, 1 min. Add egg, lemon zest, lemon juice and sour cream to mixture and beat on low until just combined. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl with a spatula until mixture is evenly combined.
- Toss blueberries with 1 tsp flour in a small bowl to coat. Add to batter and quickly stir 2 or 3 times. Scrape into prepared pan, smooth top and sprinkle with crumb topping. Bake until crumbs are golden and tester inserted into centre of cake comes out clean, about 40 min. Let cool in pan on rack for 15 min. Release pan, remove collar and let cool completely. Dust with icing sugar.