Kids love playing in the yard during the summer months.
It beats being cooped up in the house watching TV. And frankly, parents love seeing their kids having fun and getting exercise.
When it's really hot out, you've probably turned on the garden hose to fill up the kiddy pool or have some fun with your little one.
We've all done it before, but as summers are getting hotter in America every year, we probably shouldn't anymore.
These seemingly innocent games with your child could land them in a hospital, according to Las Vegas emergency officials.
Two years ago, a baby suffered second-degree burns on his back and arms after getting sprayed by a garden hose.
Nicholas Woodger, who was nine months old at the time, had blistered burns on 30% of his body, according to KPHO-TV.
The garden hose had been left sitting in the fierce Las Vegas sun for hours.
When his mother went to fill up the kiddy pool, she accidentally sprayed her boy right when she turned on the hose.
The city's fire department hopes to prevent an accident like this from occurring again by informing the public:
"Here in Las Vegas, a garden hose exposed to direct sunlight during summer can heat the water inside the hose (not flowing) to 130-140 degrees which can cause burns especially to children & animals."
"Let the water flow a few minutes to cool before spraying on people or animals," their Twitter post added.
All that being said, a garden hose can only reach scalding temperatures when it's unbearably hot in your city.
The plastic tube can also pose a risk to children and animals if it's been left out in the sun for too long.
On hot days, make sure you keep your garden hose in the shed or garage.
Two other things you should be concerned about this summer are metal slides at the playground and the sandbox.
Keep your children away from these play structures when the sun is at its peak.
Let's all stay safe this summer. Share this story to spread awareness!
[H/T: CBS News]
For more tips on how to keep your children safe, check out the proper way to carry your baby's car seat.