Move over mozzarella sticks, there's a new sheriff in town! Fried Bacon Mac and Cheese Sticks are the best thing since...well, a lot of things!
These may sound complicated, but it's actually super easy to fry up these cheesy sticks. With the added saltiness from the bacon and ooey gooey cheese, this is an appetizer for the books! Serve with ketchup or marinara sauce for a dippable feast!
- 8 ounces elbow pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup bacon, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups bread crumbs
1. In a large pot, bring water to a boil and cook elbow pasta. Stir occasionally for about 7 minutes, or until al dente.
2. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter completely and whisk in flour for 2 minutes to create a light roux.
3. Add milk to the roux and season it with salt and pepper. Stir continuously until the sauce fully thickens.
4. Gradually add cheese to your sauce and stir until fully combined.
5. Add cooked pasta and crumbled bacon to your cheese sauce and stir until each noodle is fully coated.
6. Remove mac and cheese from the heat and pour onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spread evenly and freeze for 2 hours in the freezer.
7. Cut the frozen mac and cheese into sticks.
8. Batter sticks in flour, egg, and bread crumbs.
9. Preheat a deep fryer or pot of oil to 325 degrees.
10. Fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown, then drain on a paper towel.
11. Serve as is, or with ketchup or marinara sauce. Enjoy!