Nobody likes coming home from the grocery store and discovering a patch of fuzzy blue stuff on a loaf of bread. Instead of bringing it back to the store or throwing good food away, you take out a knife and cut off the moldy parts. After all, the bread isn't at its expiry date and it isn't stale yet. The rest of the loaf is okay to eat, right?
Well, you could be in for an unpleasant surprise. While some claim it's perfectly safe to eat moldy bread as long as the white, grey, and blue parts are picked off, the truth is a lot more grim.
Marianne Gravely, senior technical information specialist for the United States Department of Agriculture, advises people to throw away
"We don't recommend cutting mold off of bread, because it's a soft food," she said. "With soft food, it's very easy for the roots [of the mold], or the tentacles, or whatever creepy word you want to use, to penetrate [deeper into the food]."
While salami, hard cheeses, and firm fruit and vegetables are safe to eat after moldy bits have been removed, spores burrow deep into the soft and porous parts of bread. While you can't always see the mold throughout the bread, it can make you sick if you eat it.
"Scraping or cutting this part off of your bread or bagel won't save you from eating a mouthful of fungus," Live Science wrote.
While not all mold is hazardous to your health, it's best not to take the risk. Some contains mycotoxins, which can cause "allergic reactions or respiratory problems." If that wasn't scary enough already, a poisonous aflatoxin can be found in some molds, and it's been linked to cancer.
"I have seen mold spread from one slice to the next," Marianne Gravely told NPR. "I'm sure some people would really want to press the situation, but bread is cheap. Go buy some more."
Did you know this about eating moldy bread? Make sure you leave a comment below and SHARE with your friends!