Hawaii has always been one of those 'Bucket List' places I want to visit in my lifetime. The beautiful island scenery, the culture, weather and of course, the food! Huli Huli Hawaiian Chicken brings a welcomed sweet and savory island flavor right to my door!
This mouth watering combination takes those plain old drumsticks to a whole new level! Pair it with some freshly grilled pineapple, close your eyes and you can almost hear the sound of the waves crashing on the beach, the smell of Hibiscus flowers and the Plumeria trees.
- 4 pounds chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- ½ Tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin spice
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha adjust to taste
- 1 lime
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- Green onions sliced for garnish
- Season Chicken legs with pepper according to preference. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, mix the pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, sriracha, ketchup, ginger, cumin, lime juice and garlic.
- Pour marinade into a ziploc bag and add chicken. Thoroughly mix so chicken is covered with marinade.
- Seal and place in the fridge to marinade. For at least 3 hours or overnight for best flavor.
- When ready to cook- remove chicken from the fridge, and careful drain. Set marinade aside.
- In a small saucepan simmer the remaining Huli Huli marinade to thicken it.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking pan with foil; top with a wire rack. Arrange chicken legs out in a single layer. While the chicken legs are baking oil will slowly drip to the bottom of the baking pan.
- Bake chicken legs until cooked through and skin is crispy, about 45-50 minutes-rotate chicken half way through-roughly 20 minutes.
- Drench in sauce or serve sauce on the side with grilled pineapple and rice.