Have you ever thought of adding soda to your cake recipes? I had heard of other people doing this but I never had the guts to try it out myself. Turns out it makes for a deliciously moist cake - who knew?
I did a little research and adding coke to chocolate cake is a classic southern thing. Southern food is always delicious, so I felt even better about trying this out myself.
This Chocolate Cherry Cola Cake is a great one to serve at any party or gathering, and it’s packed with cherries - even in the frosting! What's more is that it's made with Devil's Food Cake mix - my favorite! You’ll love how decadent this one is and your whole family will be asking for the recipe.
Scroll down to get the full instructions for how to make this mouthwatering Chocolate Cherry Cola Cake. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out!
Want more cake recipes? We've got lots of delicious ones to choose from:
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking dish and set aside.
In a large bowl add the cake mix, eggs, oil, vanilla, 1/4 cup Maraschino cherry juice, Cherry Coke and mix until all the ingredients are incorporated and you have a smooth batter.
Add the Maraschino cherries to the batter and mix.
Pour the batter into your greased baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick when inserted comes out clean.
While the cake is baking you're going to start making the frosting.
Pit your cherries. Add the butter, powdered sugar, milk and vanilla to a medium sized bowl. Beat until the mixture becomes fluffy.
Next, add in the marshmallow cream and beat until fully mixed.
Gently fold in the fresh cherries into the frosting.
Once your cake has been removed from the oven and cooled you can start to frost it. Pour the frosting over top of the cake and spread evenly to completely cover.
Your cake is now ready to serve! Garnish with fresh cherries for a seriously delicious dessert!
Below we have the easy-to-read directions so you can easily make this cake whenever the craving strikes!
For the cake:
- 1 box Devil’s Food cake mix
- 8 ounces cherry Coke
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 ounces maraschino cherries, drained and chopped (reserve ¼ cup of the liquid)
For the frosting:
- ⅓ cup butter, room temperature
- 4 ½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 7 ounces marshmallow cream
- 18 fresh cherries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x13 cake pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cake mix, cherry Coke, oil, eggs, vanilla, and reserved cherry juice until well-combined. Fold in the maraschino cherries, then pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake about 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean or with a few crumbs. Remove from the oven, then cool in the pan at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, to make the frosting, start by beating the butter in a large mixing bowl until fluffy. Slowly add in 2 cups of the powdered sugar, then add in the milk and vanilla, then the remainder of the powdered sugar. Beat in the marshmallow cream, then fold in the cherries until everything is well-incorporated. Frost the cake, serving with additional cherries as desired. Enjoy!
Do you know someone who would love this cake? Make sure to share this recipe with them!
Watch our video below of how we made this Chocolate Cherry Cola Cake!