Vintage fruit cake recipes are timeless and I had to try this one from Campbell's soup! I mean it’s fruitcake how could it get any worse?
To an uneducated eye this could be seen as a normal fruitcake, even the untrained palette won't figure this one out. Super secret ingredient Tomato soup! Nd it’s not weird at all! The soup actually adds to the moistness and brings out all the sweetness from the dried fruit.
- 1-3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each: ground cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 can Campbell’s Tomato Soup
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chopped candied fruit, or raisins, or prepared mincemeat
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 inch tube pan. In large bowl, sift dry ingredients together. Add shortening and 1/2 can soup. Beat until smooth. Add remaining soup and eggs. Beat again until smooth. Fold in fruit and nuts. Pour into pan. Bake about 1-1/4 hours. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove.
- Soften 3-ounce pkg cream cheese with 1 tablespoon milk; gradually blend in 2-1/2 cups sifted confectioners sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.