Trending | News

Family on Vacation in Mexico Is Found Dead. They Didn't Know They Were Breathing in Toxic Gas

On March 15, the Sharp family traveled to Tulum, Mexico to enjoy a vacation.

Friend and family said Kevin and Amy, along with their 12-year-old son, Sterling, and seven-year-old daughter, Adrianna, loved doing things together.

Bob Harris, the announcer at the track where Kevin raced cars, told CNN:

“Everything they did, they did as a family. His family was involved — his son was working on the race car with him, cheering him on. Here in Iowa racing is a big family; we try to promote it as a family sport and (the Sharps) lived it.”

The last time Harris heard from Kevin was on March 14. The family arrived in Tulum on March 15; Sterling posted a photo of his feet by the water on Snapchat. They weren't heard from again.

Family members notified authorities after Kevin failed to check in with his employees at the beer distributor he owned and after the family failed to show up for a basketball game they had excitedly planned to attend. At first, the family thought maybe something had gone wrong with their flight, which is why they didn't return home as expected on March 21.

According to CNN, the family of four was found deceased in their rental house. Authorities believe that when they were discovered they had been dead for 36 to 48 hours.

According to the coroner, the family's autopsies showed their cause of death to be from suffocation after “inhaling toxic gases.” Local authorities believe the gas was leaking from a hot water boiler in the apartment.

[caption id="attachment_71192" align="alignnone" width="684"]

Kevin Sharp/Facebook[/caption]

The U.S. Department of State has recently been releasing travel advisories for Mexico. The most recent alert told American citizens to be aware of crime; an alert released eight months ago warned travelers to be wary of tainted alcohol at some resorts.

However, according to local authorities, there were no signs of foul play and they have ruled out suicide or the possibility of a robbery.

As CNN reports, crews and firefighters have performed a “physical inspection of the room's gas installation.” A technical report is expected to be released at a later date.