Crystal Gail Amerson, 29, ate Chinese food on Saturday evening for dinner; the next morning she felt unwell. She was suffering the effects of what she thought was food poisoning. Little did she know, there was a surprise in store for Crystal, her fiance, Brian Westerfield and their 18-month-old son, Wyatt.
“I had eaten General Tso’s chicken the night before, and although there was nothing whatsoever wrong with the food, at that point food poisoning was my only guess on what could possibly be going on,” Amerson, of Pensacola, Florida, tells PEOPLE.
On March 25th, severe stomach cramps sent Crystal to and from the bathroom. The pain worsened as the morning went on. “The pain intensified quickly, and I went from guessing food poisoning was the culprit to being concerned that it was something much worse.”
She struggled to figure out what was wrong with her; as her pains intensified, Crystal had Brian call paramedics. While the EMTs were loading her into the ambulance, Crystal realized her stomach pains weren’t cramps from food poisoning, but contractions. She was in labor!
“The pain came in waves and were excruciating. But as the seconds ticked by and the pain was more intense and more frequent, the EMT attending me and myself pieced together what was happening,” Amerson, who works at a retirement home for Alzheimer’s and dementia patients, recalls. “It was scary. I was sure I was dying, it was literally the most terrifying and painful ride of my life.”