The baby boomer generation is defined as the group of people who were born in the years following the end of World War II. Boomers represent about 20% of the American population and are the longest-living generation in history. Baby boomers who were born in the United States grew up in a time of cultural change and technological growth. While boomers are familiar with the modern advances of today they can also remember a lot about the past. Whether you’re a boomer or not, you should check out this quiz and test your knowledge of all things baby boomer!
Which of the following subgroup is a member of the baby boomer generation?
- The “Greatest” generation
- Gen X
- Hippies are members of the baby boomer generation.
How much was the minimum wage in 1970?
- The minimum wage in 1970 was $1.45.
What war did some baby boomers get drafted to fight in?
- Korean War
- The Gulf War
- The Vietnam War
- Baby boomers were drafted into the Vietnam War.
Which deadly chemical was used heavily in the Vietnam War?
- Purple Haze
- Sergeant Green
- General Blue
- Agent Orange
- The herbicide Agent Orange was used in the Vietnam War. It has had lasting effects on some veterans.
In the summer of love, in 1969, a famous music festival took place. What was it called?
- Sherman Stock
- The Love Festival
- Green Acres Festival
- Woodstock is arguably the most famous music festival of all time.
Legendary singer Elvis Presley appeared in his first film in 1956. What was the name of the movie?
- Jailhouse Rock
- King Creole
- Blue Hawaii
- Love Me Tender
- In Elvis’ first movie, “Love Me Tender,” he played the character Clint Reno.
The baby boomer generation was the first to grow up with what piece of technology?
- Baby boomers were the first generation to grow up with television!
Most baby boomers vividly remember the 35th President of the United States. Who was it?
- Barack Obama
- George Bush Sr.
- Richard Nixon
- John F. Kennedy
- John F. Kennedy was the 35th President of the United States, and is still fondly remembered today.
What TV show might baby boomers remember from their childhoods?
- Sponge Bob Square Pants
- Rocko’s Modern Life
- The Flintstones
- Baby Boomers will probably remember “The Flintstones,” which first aired in 1960.
You are a baby boomer if you were born in what year?
- The baby boomer generation is said to have been born between the years of 1946 and 1964.
At the end of the baby boomer years, In 1964, the Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to a man for his nonviolent resistance to racial prejudice in the United States. What was his name?
- Malcolm X
- John Lewis
- Martin Luther King Jr.
- Martin Luther King Jr. was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964. He was assassinated only four years later.
If you’re a baby boomer, what kind of phone did you likely use as a child?
- If you’re a baby boomer, you probably remember the good ‘ol rotary phone.
President Richard Nixon was involved in a scandal which led to his impeachment. What was the name of the scandal?
- The Russian Scandal
- The Watergate scandal rocked the White House and led to President Nixon’s impeachment.
In the old days, TV went off the air at what time?
- It never went off.
- 10 p.m.
- 8 p.m.
- 12 a.m.
- Before the days of endless cable channels, TV went off the air at 12 a.m.
In the 1960s, feminist legend Betty Friedan released a book which is credited with spawning the second wave of the Women’s Movement. What is the title of the book?
- The Bell Jar
- A Room of One’s Own
- The Beauty Myth
- The Feminine Mystique
- Betty Friedan released “The Feminine Mystique” in 1963.
Which of the following is a classic baby boomer TV show?
- Happy Days
- Mork and Mindy
- Howdy Doody
- “Howdy Doody” is a classic baby boomer show.
The space race was a defining moment for the baby boomer generation. What man is credited as being the first to go into space?
- Neil Armstrong
- John Glenn
- Alan Shepard
- Yuri Gagarin
- The first man in space was Russian and his name was Yuri Gagarin. However, American Neil Armstrong was the first man on the moon.
How would baby boomers and their families get milk?
- At the grocery store
- At the convenience store
- Through the mail
- Delivered by the milk man
- Baby boomers and their families got their milk, delivered in glass bottles, from the milk man.
What country did the Bay of Pigs invasion involve?
- Puerto Rico
- The Bay of Pigs invasion dealt with the country of Cuba.
Where did baby boomers go to watch movies?
- They watched movies on their computers.
- They watched movies on their phones.
- They watched movies on TV.
- They watched movies at the drive-in.
- Baby boomers went to the drive-in to catch the latest movie.
The Beatles took the baby boomer generation by storm. Their fans were totally wild for the Fab Four. What was their fandom called?
- The fan movement was called Beatlemania!
Baby boomers remember the assassination of this President:
- Abraham Lincoln
- Theodore Roosevelt
- Andrew Jackson
- John F. Kennedy
- The tragic assassination of JFK was a life-altering moment for many baby boomers.
Who replaced JFK after he was assassinated?
- Richard Nixon
- Harry Truman
- Gerald Ford
- Lyndon B. Johnson
- Lyndon B. Johnson served as President Kennedy’s Vice President. He was sworn in as President after JFK’s assassination.
In their childhoods, many baby boomers had this kind of seat for their bicycle?
- A strawberry seat
- A mango seat
- A zucchini seat
- A banana seat
- The classic bicycle seat was called a banana seat.
More than half of the population of the United States watched the landmark television moment in which a woman was depicted giving birth on TV for the first time. Which show was this?
- I Dream of Jeannie
- The Dick Van Dyke Show
- The Honeymooners
- I Love Lucy
- Lucille Ball was the first to depict a woman giving birth on TV for the very first time on her show “I Love Lucy.”
The baby boomer generation has experienced life without which of the following
- Baby Boomers knew life before computers.
Baby boomers can remember which team won the first-ever Super Bowl. What team was it?
- The Dallas Cowboys
- New York Giants
- Buffalo Bills
- Green Bay Packers
- The Green Bay Packers won the first super bowl ever in 1967.
These days we have active shooter drills in schools. What type of school drills did baby boomers have in their schools?
- Kidnapper drills
- Germ drills
- Grenade drills
- Atomic bomb drills
- Baby boomers will vividly remember having atomic bomb drills during school.
Baby boomers stayed up late in their childhood to watch this talk show:
- The Johnny Carson Show
- Jimmy Kimmel Live
- The Tonight Show with Jay Leno
- The Ed Sullivan Show
- Baby boomers stayed up late to watch “The Ed Sullivan Show,” which ran from 1948 to 1971.
Once upon a time, TVs did not have this:
- A speaker
- An antenna
- A screen
- A remote control
- TV sets did not always have a handheld remote control. Imagine that!
How did baby boomers place a phone call?
- By pushing buttons to dial the number
- By asking Siri to call the number
- By using the computer
- By speaking to the operator
- Baby boomers will remember making a call by speaking to the operator and asking to be connected.
How could baby boomers find the number of someone they wanted to contact?
- The Internet
- A little black book
- The newspaper
- The phone book
- Baby boomers will remember finding phone numbers in the phone book.
What was the refrigerator often called?
- The fridge
- The freezer
- The cold machine
- The ice box
- The refrigerator used to be called the ice box.
What did baby boomers use to make coffee?
- The Keurig
- A tea kettle
- The espresso machine
- The percolator
- Baby boomers will remember using a percolator to make coffee.
TV was not allowed to show any of what?
- Once upon a time, TV shows were not allowed to include any swearing.
What did baby boomers use to listen to music?
- A CD player
- An 8-track player
- A phonograph
- A transistor radio
- Baby boomers used to tune into different music and radio shows on their transistor radios.
Approximately how many baby boomers are in the United States today?
- 7 million
- 740 million
- 17 million
- 74.9 million
- Approximately 74.9 million baby boomers are living in the United States today.
Which famous children’s book was published in the baby boomer era?
- The Giver
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- The Little Prince
- Charlotte’s Web
- “Charlotte’s Web” is one of the best-loved children’s books from the baby boomer era.
This famous actress is a baby boomer:
- Candice Bergen
- Penny Marshall
- Bette Midler
- Cher is a baby boomer. She was born in 1946.
This famous actor is a baby boomer:
- Robert DeNiro
- Al Pacino
- Christopher Walken
- Samuel L. Jackson
- Samuel L. Jackson is a baby boomer, born in 1948.
- Uh, oh! Like the “please stand by” image, your baby boomer knowledge is a bit rusty. Give this quiz another shot!
- Getting there! Your baby boomer knowledge is warming up like Lucy and Ethel are fiddling with the antenna. Try again!
- Great job! Your baby boomer knowledge is like getting a great picture on an old black and white TV.
- Excellent! No one will doubt you’re a true baby boomer. It’s like getting a color TV for the first time!
The post Only Baby Boomers Will Be Able To Pass This History Quiz appeared first on trendchaser.