If you're really looking to wow the crowd this Thanksgiving, look no further than this Bacon-Braided Turkey. This juicy bird might look complicated to make, but it's actually super easy braiding bacon over the top and cooking this in the oven.
The delicious gravy you can make with the drippings is out of this world. This might just be the yummiest turkey you'll ever have!
- 1 turkey
- Kosher salt
- 1 ½ pounds bacon, chopped
- ½ pound butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 3 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 ribs celery, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 red apples, roughly chopped
- Salt turkey inside and out, cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a food processor, blend ½ pound chopped bacon, ½ pound butter, and herbs until a thin buttery paste is formed.
- Remove bird from fridge and rinse salt off and dry with paper towel.
- Smear bacon butter inside and out of bird. Braid remaining bacon over the breasts of the bird.
- Prepare your baking pan with tin foil and put veggies in the bottom and a piece of each into the bird. Place roasting rack over veggies.
- Place bird in oven for 30 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 degrees for the remaining time cooking, about 15 minutes per pound, or when your bird reaches 155 degrees internal temperature.
- Remove from oven and rest tented with foil for at least 2 hours before carving.
- Serve with gravy made from drippings! Enjoy!