Chicken recipes are my favorite. Not only is chicken super versatile and can work in any recipe, but it tastes delicious and is often really affordable to buy! Chicken gets pricey when you choose the boneless, skinless cuts. Instead, buy your chicken whole and cut it up yourself at home and don't bother paying extra for the grocery store to do that part for you.
Now, on to the reason you're here! This Whole Roasted Chicken is magical (no, that's not an overstatement). It's made in an Instant Pot, which is just an updated and easy-to-use pressure cooker - there's no need to fear kitchen disasters when you use this! This gadget has really come a long way and has made my life so much easier.
Have you even heard of cooking a whole chicken in 45 minutes? Probably not. It takes forever when you cook it in the oven. And this is why I love my Instant Pot so much - everything is ready to eat in half the time it takes to make in the oven, PLUS it locks in all the much needed moisture and flavors. No dry, flavorless chicken for dinner tonight!
Serve this with rice and veggies, or use it to top a salad or pasta dish. Don't forget to save the chicken bones, you can make homemade broth with this later!
Scroll down to see how to make this at home!
Need some inspiration for how to use your whole roasted chicken in a recipe? We've got lots of meals for you to check out:
Add it to Greek Chicken Gyros
Dice it up and put it in a casserole, may we suggest this Jalapeno Popper Casserole?
Dice and stuff inside Baked BBQ Chicken Egg Rolls
Let's get started on how to make this!
Start by mixing up the spices for the Southwest seasoning mix in a small bowl. Set aside to use later.
Rub your whole chicken with olive oil, sprinkle on some salt and pepper.
Stuff the chicken with the diced onion and garlic.
Tie the legs of the chicken together using butchers twine.
Turn on your Instant Pot and press the saute button.
Pour remaining olive oil in the pot. When it's hot, add the whole chicken to the pot and sear on both sides (about 3-4 minutes on each side).
Rub the chicken with the seasoning mix you made earlier.
Add the broth to the pot and place your chicken back in the Instant Pot, breast side up.
Secure the lid to your Instant Pot. Make sure the valve is in the 'sealing' position.
Set your pressure cooker to 'manual' and set timer for 25 minutes.
When the timer beeps, let the pressure release naturally for about 15 minutes.
Remove chicken from pot and let rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Your chicken is now ready! Serve with rice, veggies or a side salad for a quick, easy and healthy dinner.
Below are the easy-to-read directions for this recipe. Enjoy!
- 3 pound whole chicken
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 5 large cloves fresh garlic, peeled and left whole
- southwest seasoning mix (recipe below) or 2 Tablespoons of your favorite seasoning
- 1 cup chicken stock/broth, or water
- Rub chicken with one tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place diced onion and garlic inside the chicken cavity. Use sewing or butchers twine to secure the legs shut.
- Turn on pot and press ‘saute’ button.
- Pour remaining olive oil into the pan and gently sear both sides of the chicken.
- Rub southwest seasoning mix onto the freshly seared chicken body.
- Pour broth in pot and place chicken, breast side up into the pot and ensure lid is in the ‘sealing’ position.
- Set the pressure cooker to ‘manual’ and set timer for 25 minutes.
- When the timer begins to beep, allow the pressure cooker to release naturally (approximately 15 minutes).
- Allow the chicken to rest roughly 10-15 minutes prior to serving.
Let us know how your chicken turns out! Did your family enjoy it?
Do you know someone who loves Instant Pot recipes? Make sure to share this with them!
Watch our step-by-step video below of how this chicken is made.