Fruitcake is probably the most hated holiday tradition known to mankind. But why haven’t we tried to spruce it up instead of just complaining about how bad it is?
My first attempt to better the fruitcake was kinda a success, of course you will have to make it yourself to truly know. I thought what kind of fruit flavored candy could I use to make this a little more kid friendly? Skittles was the answer! And here is the result!
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 1 cup applesauce
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups skittles
- 1/4 cup flour
- 8 oz Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 cup skittles for topping
- Heat oven to 275 degrees.
- Line 2 (8x4-inch) loaf pans with parchment, with ends of parchment extending over sides; spray with cooking spray. Beat cake mix, applesauce and eggs in large bowl with mixer until blended. Toss skittles with flour in medium bowl; stir into cake batter. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 1 hour 45 min. or until toothpick inserted in centres comes out clean. Cool completely. Use parchment handles to remove cakes from pans.
- Beat cream cheese, butter and sugar with mixer until blended; drizzle over cakes. Sprinkle with Skittles.