Lemon bars are such a classic dessert, with balanced citrus flavor, and softer than your average cookie. This recipe for Easy Lemon Bars is just that - oh so simple, and absolutely scrumptious!
Betty Crocker published the first known recipe for the lemon bar, and we’re so glad they did! This version of their method is a winner just because of how fool-proof it is...welcome to your new go to bake sale recipe!
For the crust:
- 12 tablespoons cold butter, cut in small pieces
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
For the filling:
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Powdered sugar, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8x8-inch pan with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, combine butter, sugar, and flour for about 30 seconds, or until the dough balls up together.
- Press dough into prepared pan, then bake for 22-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining sugar, flour, eggs, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Allow mixture to sit for at least 15 minutes while the crust is in the oven.
- Once the crust has finished baking, take it out of the oven and whisk lemon mixture once more just before pouring it on top of the crust to make sure all ingredients are well-combined again.
- Bake once more for 20-22 minutes, until just set and before it begins to brown on top.
- Cool completely on a wire rack, then slice up into squares. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.