It seems like Gerry and Katy McCann may soon get the closure they have been seeking since their daughter, Madeleine McCann, went missing more than a decade ago.
The family were holidaying in Praia de Luz, Portugal when the three-year-old girl vanished from the apartment on the resort they were staying at.
Last year, as the 10th anniversary of the missing persons case approached, many new details, theories, leads and clues about the mystery began to emerge.
Madeleine's nanny also broke her silence for the first time since that fateful night, shutting down the rumors that the toddler's parents were responsible for her disappearance.
Authorities also revealed that they have identified the mysterious "woman in purple" who, according to a couple of witnesses, was standing outside the Ocean Club apartment where the little girl was allegedly abducted from just 90 minutes before she was reported missing.
According to witness accounts, the woman, who is believed to be Luisa Todorov, a 58-year-old waitress, who worked at at a neighboring restaurant, was "acting bizarrely" and "watching intently" after the abduction.
The Scotland Yard and the Metropolitan Police were given a combined total of about $16 million to extend their investigation, now dubbed Operation Grange, and locate Luisa.
Since it's an ongoing investigation, detectives have not divulged much about the case to the public, but the Metropolitan Police have finally made an announcement that has given us all hope again.
On March 26, the Met revealed that The Home Office has increased the funding for Operation Grange.
They have pumped over $200,000 into the investigation in order to help the detectives investigate an "important final line of inquiry."
"The Government remains committed to the investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann," a rep for the Home Office told MailOnline. "We have briefed the Metropolitan Police Service that its application for Special Grant funding for Operation Grange will be granted."
"The inquiry has not reached a conclusion and we’re continuing with focus and determination. There are no immediate plans to reduce officer numbers further at this time," they added.
Over 15 million dollars have been spent so far to find Madeleine, but not all the leads were useful.
Since she vanished, there have been 9,000 reported sightings all over the world, and around 600 "persons of interest" have been questioned .
Unfortunately for us, the Scotland Yard refused to "give a running commentary on the investigation while it is ongoing," so it's unclear if the suspect is among these persons of interest.
Kate and Gerry have not directly spoken to the media about this new development, but according to the family's spokesperson, Clarence Mitchell, "They are very encouraged that the Met Police still believe there is work left to be done and they are incredibly grateful to the Home Office for providing an extra budget for the investigation."
Mitchell continued, "It gives them hope that one day they may finally find out what happened to their daughter."
While some have been holding out hope that she is still alive, there are many people, including crime expert Pat Brown, who believe she is dead and the government should stop funding the investigation.
“Madeleine is dead,” Brown told news.com.au. “There’s no point spending all of this money as nothing they do is going to make that child alive.”
Brown took it to an extreme when she suggested that Madeleine was not kidnapped, but rather, she died "of an accident occurring through neglect and possible medication."
Brown's theory was also echoed by former detective Goncalo Amaral in his controversial book called The Truth of the Lie. In it, he claimed that Maddie had "died and her abduction was a "cover-up."
It's important to keep in mind that these are all mere speculations, so we'll just have to wait for the investigators, who claim to be "closer to the truth," to finally give us the right answers.