Okay, I’ll admit it. I’m a chocolate lover. Who isn’t, though?! You just can’t beat creamy, sweet cocoa.
For the chocolate lover in you (and everyone you know), this Malteser Pie will take your love of the sweet stuff to new heights! No really - from a “pie shell” made up of Maltesers, to the unbelievably luscious chocolate cream filling, to a whipped cream topping covered with even more crushed Maltesers, your taste buds almost won’t be able to believe it’s true!
- 16 ounces Maltesers, plus extra for decorating
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 3 1/2 ounces caster sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 7 ounces of dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 500 ml whole milk
- 3 tablespoons Ovaltine
- 300 ml heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- First, blitz the Maltesers in a food processor into crumbs. Add to the crumbs to the pan with the melted butter and mix. Pressed into a greased 10-inch pie tin, loose bottomed if you prefer, and push down evenly with a spatula or the back of a spoon until the bottom and sides are completely covered.
- Leave in the fridge to set while you make the filling. In a medium pan add the egg yolks, milk and malt powder and whisk over a low heat until thickened. Take off the heat and stir through the chocolate until it’s a smooth, silky consistency. Pour the chocolate filling into the pie case and keep in the fridge until serving, at least an hour but preferably overnight.
- Just before serving whip the double cream and vanilla together until stiff. Spoon over the chocolate filling, evenly covering the surface. Blitz with remaining Maltesers so some are fine and some are bigger and sprinkle over the top.