If you're from the South, there's a good chance you've already had the pleasure of eating the deliciously decadent banana-pineapple Hummingbird Cake. If you haven't, you will definitely want to give this a try!
This triple layer cake is the definition of moist, and packs quite a crunch with pecans galore. This cake was created in Jamaica, and was later introduced by Southern Living in 1978 - it's known as the most requested recipe in the magazine's history! Needless to say, this award-winning cake is a must-try!
For the cake:
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups bananas, chopped (about 4 medium bananas)
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with nonstick spray, then line the bottom of each pan with parchment paper, and cover the paper with nonstick.
- Spread pecans out evenly into a single layer in a pan, then bake 6-8 minutes, or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through to toast evenly.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and nutmeg. Add eggs, oil, and vanilla, stirring until just moistened. Gently fold in the bananas, pineapple, and 1 cup of the toasted pecans - batter should be quite thick, like a banana bread batter. Pour batter evenly into prepared cake pans.
- Bake cakes for 28-30 minutes. Cool in pans on a cooling rack about 10 minutes, then remove cakes from pans to cooling rack, and cool completely (about 30 minutes). Remove and discard parchment paper.
- While cakes are cooling, prepare cream cheese frosting. In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, softened butter, and vanilla extract until smooth. Add in powdered sugar gradually, beating on low until blended. Beat on medium for another 3 minutes, or until fluffy.
- Place 1 cooled cake layer on a cake stand or serving plate. Top with one-fourth of cream cheese frosting. Repeat once, then top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Garnish with remaining pecans.
Do you know someone who loves delicious layered cakes? Make sure to share this recipe with them.
Watch our video below that shows you step by step how to make this irresistible Hummingbird Cake. Enjoy!