Trending

Mom Warns Parents About Pacifiers After Her Son Suffers Burns

For a while now, pacifiers have been at the center of some very heated debates between parents.

While these soothers can be effective in calming a baby, they seem to do the opposite for some moms and dads, who are conflicted about letting their infants use them.

It's the cons, like teeth malformation, long-term dependency, and risk of choking, that evokes so many strong feelings whenever pacifiers are mentioned.

Phillips.be

Now, parents against pacifiers have one more reason to add to the list.

Kristen Milhone, a mom of a seven-month-old boy, is sending out a warning to other parents about another danger of giving babies pacifiers, especially before putting them to bed.

The Michigan mom explained that a few mornings ago, her son Jack woke up crying, which was something he did not do very often. When she went on to check on him, she noticed that the infant had a bad burn on the side of his face.

"This morning I woke up to my baby as usual but this time was a little different," she wrote in a Facebook post. "My baby had a quarter-sized, reddened, raised and blistered spot on the left side of his head (the side he was laying on). I immediately thought chemical burn!"

Kristen Milhone/Facebook

Milhone rushed her baby the emergency room at Helen Devos Children’s Hospital, and spent the drive thinking about what could've caused the injury, but came up empty.

"As I grabbed all of his things for an early morning car trip to Helen DeVos, I thought 'well maybe it was something in his cosleeper' but that thought quickly flew from my mind because it was just him and his pacifier. None of the things countless safe sleep books, ads, commercials, or doctors warn you of."

Even the doctors hard a difficult time identifying how Jack got hurt. They initially thought it was a ringworm, but they eventually figured out that it was his pacifier. The size and shape of the burn matched the backside of the soother.

Kristen Milhone/Facebook

"As Jack rolled at night time he happened to have created a suction effect between his left temple and the back of the soothie," Milhone explained. "The diameter of the wound and the pacifier indentation were an exact match!"

Thankfully, the little boy's wound is healing fine and becoming less noticeable. Still, Milhone says she won't take the "one in a billion chance" and will "stop using these products once we can find a suitable alternative for him and until then, [their] use will be closely monitored."

The company that manufactured the pacifier has since released a statement reassuring their customers that their products "meet or exceed applicable regulatory requirements, including US CPSC requirements for children’s products.”

Kristen Milhone/Facebook

Still, Milhone is urging parents to be very careful because no one could've ever guessed that an everyday baby object like a pacifier would cause such an injury.

“There’s just something that goes through your head, like disbelief," she told People. I mean, I thought it had to have been something else, there’s no way it could be something you trusted so much. It was hard for me to understand or wrap my head around the fact that this caused him harm."

Pacifiers aren't the only seemingly harmless products that could send your child to the hospital. Check out these stories:

Grandmother Posts Warning About Life Vest That Nearly Drowned Toddler

Mom Posts Warning About Popular Teething Gel After Her Baby Stopped Breathing

Awa has been writing for Shared for 3 years. She is a serial snacker who unapologetically loves celebrity gossip. Drop her a line at awa@shared.com.