It's strange to say that dimples are actually a facial muscle deformity, which makes it sound like something unwanted, but it's considered to be one of the most attractive features on someone's face.
It's estimated that only 20% of the population are born with dimples, so that leaves the rest of us either wanting to do this to our face:
Or we'll want to go a little step further and get these skin indentations done surgically.
For those of you who are curious about this unique skin feature, here are some interesting facts!
10. Dimples are inherited by a single gene.
Dimples are a dominant allele, which means that it only takes one gene to inherit these adorable skin indentations.
9. They are associated with youthfulness.
8. Dimples can appear on other areas of your skin.
In the picture below, you can see back someone whose accentuated their back dimples with two piercings.
7. As our facial muscles contract, dimples may disappear or become more prominent as as we age.
6. Some people with dimples may possess the 'forefather gene'.
These wonderful genes can skip a generation or two. Your parents may not have dimples, but your grandparents or great grandparents may have had them.
5. Dimples are a symbol of beauty.
You already know this because you're obsessed with famous figures and friends you know who possess this facial feature.
4. If both parents have dimples, there's a fifty to 100% chance that their child will have dimples too.
3. Your cheek dimples or chin dimple may be the result of your unique face shape.
2. Diet and exercise can also play a factor in the formation of dimples.
You don't want to form dimples this way because it's an indicator of poor health. Proper diet and exercise is needed to eliminate these kinds of dimples.
1. Dimples are a genetic skin mutation.
Dimples are caused by shortened facial muscles.
Share this story with someone who has dimples or loves to have those cute skin indents!