Being 8-months pregnant certainly comes with its fair share of challenges.
Trying to prepare for the baby's arrival can be a daunting task, both financially and emotionally.
For Nicola Taylor, she experienced a life-altering experience when her fourth floor apartment caught fire due to an electrical problem.
Firefighters quickly arrived to the scene and extinguished the blaze.
Nicola who is 8-months pregnant, lived with her father, cousin and cousin's 2-year-old son.
Thankfully everyone was able to escape the building safely, but most of the items in the apartment were destroyed.
Nicola's friends and family had thrown her a baby shower just 2 days before the devastating event and everything she and the baby were given were destroyed by the fire.
When the firefighters went through the apartment in the aftermath, they saw the damaged gifts and were touched by the situation.
“[The firefighters] heard the story, they saw the condition of the apartment and their hearts were broken,” Captain Jerry Gonzalez said. “They’re people just like everybody else, and their hearts were broken with this story. She’s eight months pregnant and lost everything in a baby shower just recently, and they wanted to do something.”
After sharing the story, the firehouse received an overwhelming amount of donations to help Nicola and her family.
They decided to then surprise Nicola with a second baby shower and she was left shocked.
“God is amazing,” Taylor said. “This is more stuff than I had. Thank you.”
The last surprise was certainly the best. With the donations, they were able to get Nicola a new lease on an apartment and pay for the first 3 month's rent!
“It’s so overwhelming,” Taylor’s father, Glenton Daley, 50, said. “I don’t know how to thank them. “I was worried…it was painful and unbearable and these angels came along and stood by me. I’m so thankful.”