It seems like yesterday that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, had their engagement photo call. Today, their Royal Highnesses are not only married, they're also proud parents to a six-month-old son, Archie.
This week, the couple is celebrating the second anniversary of their engagement announcement. To mark the occasion, they shared a never-before-seen portrait from their wedding day. The photo was posted on their joint Instagram page, along with two other snaps––one from their engagement photo call and the other from their first public appearance as a family of three.
Photographer Chris Allerton captured the candid shot of the smiling couple with their arms around each other. The snap was taken after the wedding ceremony at St. George's Chapel in Windsor Castle.
“On this day, two years ago: 27th of November 2017, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announced the news of their engagement, later becoming Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Sussex! They have since celebrated their wedding anniversary and welcomed their son, Archie, into the world,” read the caption.
The couple followed up the anniversary post with another message on Thanksgiving: "Wishing you a very happy Thanksgiving from our family to yours," wrote the Sussexes.
While the holiday isn't celebrated in the U.K., the royal couple acknowledge it as Meghan is American.
The recent posts from Harry, 35 and Meghan, 38, come a few weeks after the the Buckingham Palace revealed the couple's plan for the remainder of the year.
After a year of official engagements and intense scrutiny, Harry and Meghan will be taking time away from the public eye. The couple will also be skipping the Queen's Christmas celebrations at Sandringham.
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are looking forward to extended family time towards the end of this month,” Buckingham Palace said in a statement. “Having spent the last two Christmases at Sandringham, Their Royal Highnesses will spend the holiday this year, as a new family, with the Duchess’ mother Doria Ragland. This decision is in line with precedent set previously by other members of the Royal Family, and has the support of Her Majesty The Queen.”
The Sussexes' decision to temporarily step away from the limelight follows Meghan's heartbreaking interview with ITV during which she opened up about the backlash she's been receiving from the media. The former actress has been the subject of negative tabloid reports since she started a relationship with Harry.
"Any woman, especially when they’re pregnant, you’re really vulnerable, and so that was made really challenging," she told ITV news anchor Tom Bradby. "Then when you have a newborn, you know. And especially as a woman, it’s a lot,” she adds. “So, you add this on top of just trying to be a new mom or trying to be a newlywed. It’s um . . . yeah. I guess, also thank you for asking, because not many people have asked if I’m okay, but it’s a very real thing to be going through behind the scenes."
ITV's @tombradby spoke to Meghan as he gained exclusive access to the royal couple as they toured Africa for 10 days with their son Archie.— ITV News (@itvnews) October 18, 2019
The documentary, Harry & Meghan: An African Journey, airs on Sunday at 9pm on @ITV #HarryandMeghan https://t.co/Uy21iE6ozJ pic.twitter.com/XYlHVytiHF
Meghan and Harry recently decided to take legal action against British tabloids.
“Unfortunately, my wife has become one of the latest victims of a British tabloid press that wages campaigns against individuals with no thought to the consequences – a ruthless campaign that has escalated over the past year, throughout her pregnancy and while raising our newborn son,” Harry said in a statement, adding that he and Meghan have “continued to put on a brave face – as so many of you can relate to – I cannot begin to describe how painful it has been.”
He continued, “The positive coverage of the past week from these same publications exposes the double standards of this specific press pack that has vilified her almost daily for the past nine months; they have been able to create lie after lie at her expense simply because she has not been visible while on maternity leave. She is the same woman she was a year ago on our wedding day, just as she is the same woman you’ve seen on this Africa tour.”
Harry explained that he is taking a stand to prevent Meghan from suffering the same fate as his mother, the late Princess Diana.
"Though this action may not be the safe one, it is the right one. Because my deepest fear is history repeating itself. I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditised to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person. I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces. We thank you, the public, for your continued support. It is hugely appreciated. Although it may not seem like it, we really need it."
This is the second time––since going public with their relationship––that Harry has released a statement defending Meghan.
We hope the pair will use their time off to rest, relax and recuperate after what's been a whirlwind year.