If it’s not broke, don’t fix it. This saying is perfect for this dish! You will never have a ham more delicious.
Ham and pineapple has been debated for ages, just stop because it totally works! Salty juicy ham covered in sweet pineapple and cherries will change any naysayer out there! Any holiday smorgasboard would benefit with such an addition!
- 3/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 (14-pound) cooked and smoked cured ham, shank end
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 20 tinned pineapple rings
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Put oven rack in the middle of the oven.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Dijon mustard, brown sugar, and thyme.
- Put the ham in a large roasting pan, fat side up. Score ham approx 1 inch spacing across top. Rub the ham with mustard glaze. Pour the pineapple juice into the bottom of the pan. Put the ham in the oven and bake for 2 hours, brushing every 20 minutes with the pineapple juice. Remove the ham from the oven.
- Turn oven to 375 degrees.
- Using toothpicks, decoratively adhere the pineapple rings around the ham and put a cherry in the center of the pineapple ring. Sprinkle the pineapple rings lightly with brown sugar. Return to the oven, uncovered, and bake until the pineapples turn a light golden brown. Remove from the oven to a serving platter and let rest for 15 minutes before slicing.