Fried rice is a classic takeout option, but when it’s covered in oil and fried up at the restaurant, it’s hard to consider it good for you. Sometimes you might crave it, but want to feel good eating it, too!
This Quinoa Fried Rice tastes delicious, and you’ll feel great eating it! Quinoa is high in antioxidants, is naturally gluten-free, and is considered a complete protein - bonus! There are so many health benefits to eating this ancient grain, and it is a fabulous addition to this fulfilling fried rice recipe. We used Staub’s beautiful and durable Olive Wood Spatula to mix it all up in our wok. Whip this up during the week for a hearty and delectable meal!
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups cooked and chilled quinoa
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3-4 tablespoons soy sauce, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until melted. Add egg, and cook until scrambled, stirring occasionally. Remove egg, and transfer to a separate plate.
- Add an additional 1 tablespoon butter to the pan and heat until melted. Add carrots, onion, peas and garlic, and season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes or until the onion and carrots are soft.
- Increase heat to high, add in the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter, and stir until melted. Immediately add the cooked quinoa, green onions, soy sauce and oyster sauce (if using), and stir until combined.
- Continue stirring for an additional 3 minutes to fry the rice, then add in the eggs and stir to combine. Add the sesame oil, stir to combine, and remove from heat.
- Serve warm.