Every year holiday parties are filled with cheese boardsm bread, pate and of course nuts! And it’s so much fun to crack them and eat them fresh. This year I wanted to put something a little different out.
Chestnuts are seldom used in my house because I never knew how to cook them. I have been making beer nuts for years and decided now was the time to see if chestnuts could be beer nutted!
- egg white
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 cups Chestnuts
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Chop each chestnut in half
- Cook them in the microwave on the "potato" setting for 2-5 minutes
- Shell or scoop the nut and set aside
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Beat the egg white with the water until soft peaks form.
- Stir in nuts.
- In another bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients.
- Sprinkle this over the nuts, toss or stir well.
- Transfer to a buttered cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes, up to 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- You want the nuts to be dry.
- Remove from heat, cool and serve.