The 4th of July always brings a huge party for my family, friends and I, so this time of the year I'm always looking for new and fun treats to bring to the festivities. 4th of July Firecracker Jello Cups are both festive and delicious, and they're blazing enough on their own if you can't get some fireworks going!
This jello recipe is kid-friendly, but you could easily follow your favorite jello shots recipe and spike the jello for adults-only jello cups. Either way, these patriotic jello cups will bring the fire to your party!
- 1 box blue jello
- 1 box red jello
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/3 cups boiling water, divided
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Maraschino cherries with stems, drained
- Clear shot glasses, plastic or glass
- In a bowl, mix blue jello with â…” cup boiling water until the gelatin has fully dissolved. Allow mixture to cool slightly.
- Fill each of your shot glasses one third of the way full with the blue jello, then place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes, or until set.
- While blue layer is setting, in a new bowl, add â…“ cup of milk and sprinkle the unflavored gelatin on top. Set aside.
- Bring remaining â…” cup of milk to a boil, then remove from heat and add the sugar, stirring until fully dissolved.
- Combine heated milk and sugar mixture with the gelatin and milk mixture, stirring until well-blended.
- Allow mixture to cool, then once the blue layer has set, fill your shot glasses the next third of the way full with your white milk mixture. Place shot glasses in the refrigerator once more to set, about 30 minutes.
- While white layer is setting, mix red jello with â…” cup boiling water, stirring until fully dissolved. Allow to cool.
- Once the white layer has set, fill your shot glasses almost to the top with the cooled red jello mixture. Place in the refrigerator for 5 minutes, or until almost partially set.
- Place a cherry in the red layer of each shot glass, adjusting the stems to point upward. Add more red jello if needed to fill to the top. Place shot glasses in the refrigerator once more, and serve once fully set. Enjoy!