Mac and cheese is one of those classic dishes that just can’t go wrong. Who can resist ooey gooey cheese? This recipe for Apple Provolone Mac and Cheese is a remix that you won’t be able to say no to.
The sweetness from the apple is the perfect flavor to offset the salty provolone. Bake this up as a Thanksgiving side and you’re guaranteed a winner with your guests!
- 1 pound elbow pasta
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Madeira wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 cup sharp Cheddar
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 10 slices provolone
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Boil the elbow pasta in salted and oiled water until al dente, then cool.
- Caramelize the Granny Smith apples in butter.
- In a saucepan heat up your butter and incorporate the flour and cook until blond.
- Add your milk and stir until thick and creamy consistency is achieved.
- Add your cheddar, apples, Parmesan and cream and mix in well.
- Add your honey, Madeira wine, lemon juice, mustard powder, thyme and salt and stir until smooth.
- Add your pasta and stir until well blended together.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish and interlock the top with provolone.
- Bake for 12 mins or until cheese is caramelized.