As soon as the cooler weather comes, I’m always on the lookout for a new brittle recipe to satisfy my sweet tooth. Brittle also makes such a great gift idea!
This Bourbon Bacon Brittle combines my three favorite “B’s” to make one delectable dessert. It’s simply so easy to make this salty-sweet treat. Go on and give it a try!
For the Candied Bacon:
- 12 strips thick cut bacon
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
For the Brittle:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Sea salt for sprinkling
- For the candied bacon, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place bacon strips on a foil-lined baking sheet. Brush bacon with bourbon and sprinkle with brown sugar on both sides.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until sugars have caramelized, but bacon is not.
- Chop the bacon into small bite-sized pieces.
- For the brittle, spread the pecans on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven at 400 degrees for 6 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and water over medium heat. Stir constantly until the sugar dissolves and the mixture starts to boil.
- Cook on high, without stirring, until it reaches 290 degrees using a candy thermometer or boil until it turns a golden amber color. Immediately remove from heat.
- Quickly stir in butter, bourbon (watch out for splatter), vanilla, baking soda, bacon and pecans.
- Pour mixture onto the prepared baking sheet as quickly and thinly as possible. Use a wooden spoon to spread it if necessary.
- Sprinkle with sea salt right away and cool for at least 20 minutes. Once it has set, break into pieces and enjoy!