If you can’t decide between pie and cake this Thanksgiving, you need this Chocolate Pecan Pumpkin Pie Cake in your life!
This epic creation is literally a chocolate pecan cake with a pumpkin pie surprise inside! Your guests won’t be able to believe their eyes (or taste buds) when you serve this delicious beauty for dessert.
For the cake:
- Butter, for the cake pan
- 2 cups flour
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup coffee, cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 prepared pumpkin pie
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
For the chocolate glaze:
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ cup candied pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 10-inch cake pan with butter, then dust evenly with cocoa powder.
- Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Separately, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, oil, coffee, vanilla extract, and melted chocolate, then pour the dry ingredients into the wet and continue mixing until well-combined.
- Pour in ⅓ of the cake batter into the prepared cake pan, then add in the pumpkin pie on top. Pour the remaining batter on top, then sprinkle the pecans evenly on top, spreading evenly to mix together.
- Bake 50 minutes-1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean or with a few crumbs - test the sides instead of the center where the pie is.
- Remove from the oven when ready, then cool about 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully.
- While the pie-cake is cooling, prepare the glaze in a small pot on the stove. Stir together the maple syrup and cream, bringing to a simmer over medium-low heat. Mix in the chocolate, stirring until smooth, then remove from heat and pour over the cooled cake.
- To garnish the cake, sprinkle over candied pecans. Serve with unsweetened whipped cream or ice cream, for more decadence. Enjoy!