Brownies and ice cream is such a classic dessert combination, but this treat takes everything to a whole new level. Introducing the phenomenal Brownie Bomb - the ultimate chocolate dessert for the sweet tooth in your life!
Whip up some boxed brownie mix to create the outside of your “bomb.” Fill in the layers and freeze it all together for a cake that’s perfect for a party!
For the brownies:
- Nonstick cooking spray, for spraying the baking sheet
- 2 boxes brownie mix, plus ingredients required on the box
For the bomb:
- 1 quart chocolate ice cream, softened
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup hot fudge, warmed slightly
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- For the brownies, line a 12x17 baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Prepare the brownie mix, then pour the batter into the prepared baking sheet and bake according to box directions until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely.
- To make the bomb, using a 4-inch ring cutter, cut a round from the baking sheet of brownies. Slice the remaining brownies into approximately 3-by-4-inch rectangles. You should have 10 rectangles. Keep 5 rectangles as they are and cut the other 5 in half to make triangles.
- Line a 2 1/2-quart (about 9 inches across) freezer-safe bowl with plastic wrap. Place the brownie round in the bottom of the bowl and, alternating between the rectangles and triangles, fill the sides of the bowl. Press the brownie pieces into the bowl so that the interior of the bowl is lined with brownies. Break off any excess that extends above the edge of the bowl. Make sure to press the seams together so there are no cracks. Break the remaining brownie pieces into small crumbles and reserve.
- Wrap a 5-inch freezer-safe bowl in plastic wrap from the bottom, combining the loose ends of the plastic wrap at the top.
- Spread the softened ice cream inside the large bowl over the brownie layer. You should have about a 2-inch-thick layer of ice cream. Place the 5-inch bowl inside the ice cream layer, pushing it into the ice cream slightly to create a well. Cover the top with plastic wrap and freeze until the ice cream is firm, about 2 hours.
- In a large chilled bowl, combine the heavy cream, granulated sugar and cocoa. Whip the cream with a whisk or electric hand mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Remove the bomb from the freezer and remove the small bowl. Pour the hot fudge into the well, then fill with the whipped cream. Combine the reserved brownie crumbles and walnuts and sprinkle over the top of the bomb. Cover with plastic wrap and push down to press the brownie crumbles into the bomb. Freeze until the whipped cream is frozen, about 2 hours.
- Remove the bomb from the freezer and place the bowl side into a large bowl of hot water for 1 minute. Remove the plastic wrap. Invert the bomb onto a large platter or plate. Remove the glass bowl and plastic wrap. Garnish with a sprinkle of cocoa powder. Slice and serve.
Do you have a chocoholic in your life that would love this dessert? Make sure to share this recipe with them!
Watch our video below that shows you step by step how to make this epic brownie bomb. Enjoy!