Sometimes it’s nice to go with no-meat options to switch things up for dinner! This Simple Squash Casserole is just that - simple, packed with veggies, and absolutely delicious!
With the unexpected additions of packaged stuffing mix and cream of chicken soup, this combination of ingredients is creamy and full of flavor. Whip this up for an easy side dish for dinner tonight!
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash
- 1 pound zucchini
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) package herb-seasoned stuffing
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut squash and zucchini into 1/4-inch-thick slices; place in a Dutch oven. Add chopped onion, 2 teaspoons salt, and water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and cook 5 minutes; drain well.
- Stir together 1 cup grated carrots, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl; fold in squash mixture. Stir together stuffing and 1/2 cup melted butter, and spoon half of stuffing mixture in bottom of a lightly greased 13x9 baking dish. Spoon squash mixture over stuffing mixture, and top with remaining stuffing mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown, covering with aluminum foil after 20 to 25 minutes to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.