Viral

He Was Almost Electrocuted Because Of His Phone Charger

To anyone who sleeps with their phone charger next to their bed, you might want to re-think your setup.

Just ask Wiley Day, a man from Alabama, who was shocked by 110 volts of electricity while sleeping.

Day was treated for both second and third-degree burns.

So how could this have possibly happened? How did Day almost get electrocuted to death because of his phone charger?

Wiley Day was asleep in bed, with his phone charging in bed with him. Day wears a dog-chain necklace, which ended up acting as a conductor for electricity when it fell in contact with the charger.

Day says he was jolted awake but he didn't feel pain. He fell to the floor and his eyesight started to fade.

“Your body is numb at that point,” Day told the Washington Post. “I guess people would think it would be burning, but in my case I felt a whole lot of pressure around my neck. [It was] the eeriest, darkest, most demonic thing you could ever experience."

Day managed to rip the necklace off his neck and drive himself to the hospital where he was treated for severe burns.

WAAY TV

It wasn't just that Day was charging his phone in bed, it was his extension cord that ended up being the problem.

Like too many people, Wiley Day had his charger plugged in to an extension cord so he could use his phone while in bed. While he was sleeping, his chain got tangled in with the charger, hitting the prongs. This is what caused the electrocution.

Day hopes his experience will caution others who do the same.

"I found out most people were using extension cords because they were still on their devices in bed," he said. "I mean, it's sad but true. Charge your phone away from you. Charge it away from you. It's not worth your life."

SiaSat

Popular Videos

Related Articles