Sour cream and onion chips were always my absolute favorite growing up, so when I heard they made a great addition to potato salad, I just had to give it a try!
This Sour Cream and Onion Potato Salad will be a huge hit at your next summer BBQ. While the chips themselves are optional, this salad tastes great with or without - if you love a little crunch though, the chips are mandatory! This is guaranteed to be your new go-to potato salad.
- 8 medium Yukon gold potatoes, chopped into 1" cubes
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sour cream and onion potato chips, crumbled (optional)
- In a large pot, cover potatoes with water, season generously with salt, and bring water to a boil. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl or trifle dish, mix sour cream, mayonnaise and onion powder. Fold in potatoes and green onions.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour, or until ready to serve.
- Once ready to serve, season with salt and pepper to taste, then garnish with more green onions. Top with crumbled chips, if desired.