It's that time of the year to get spooky and creative with your food! Bake up these Jalapeño Popper Mummies for a Halloween get together and guaranteed you won't have any left.
Stuffed with a cream cheese mixture and wrapped in crescent roll dough cut into thin strips, these are so much fun to make and eat. You'll be amazed at the transformation into mummies when they get out of the oven. Feel free to substitute the candy eyes for a small dot of cream cheese with a piece of black olive.
- 10 jalapeño peppers, sliced in half lengthwise and pith/seeds removed (use rubber gloves so your hands don't burn from the jalapeño). Leave the stem if you can on some or all of the halves.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 ounces jack cheese, shredded
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 can Pillsbury crescent roll dough
- Candy eyeballs
Preheat oven 400 degrees. In a small bowl, mix the cream cheese, jack cheese, scallion and salt until well blended.
Roll out the crescent rolls and separate into 4 rectangles (not triangles) with a perforation in the middle of each. Press your fingers into the perforations to seal them. Using a pizza cutter, cut each rectangle into 10 long pieces lengthwise.
Fill each jalepeño half with the cheese mixture. Wrap each jalapeño half with the dough, leaving a space for the eyes. Use two pieces of dough if necessary.
Place on baking sheet.
Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and press the eyes into the cheese where the opening is. Remove eyes before eating. You may also use a little cream cheese and a piece of black olive for the eyes. Serve immediately.