One of the biggest names in breakfast foods has issued a bizarre recall that covers 10 states across the country. The reason: golf balls.
You can't think of two things less related than golf balls and hash browns, so many eyebrows were raised when McCain Foods USA issued a recall of their 2-lb bag of frozen hash browns due to the possibility they were contaminated with "extraneous golf ball materials."
The recall noticed didn't offer much clarity on just how the materials might have come to contaminate the product. All it said was that "they may have been inadvertently harvested with potatoes used to make this product."
The golf balls pose a choking hazard and may injure mouths if eaten.
McCain Foods is recalling bags of Roundy's Brand Frozen Southern Style Hash Browns from the Marianos, Metro Market and Pick 'n Save supermarkets in Illinois and Wisconsin. As well as bags of Harris Teeter Brand Frozen Southern Style Hash Browns sold in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Washington DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia and Maryland.
Look for production code: B170119 on the back of the package said the company.
You can return the purchase as the store in which you bought them or throw them away.
Since issuing the recall McCain foods hasn't responded to media requests for further comments, so we may never know just how golf balls entered our favorite breakfast side dish.