For years and years me and my brother BEGGED my granny to give us her famous cornbread recipe. We would eat it on every holiday and always go back for seconds.
Whenever we would ask for the recipe, she told us it was a family secret. Of course, I always reminded her that we ARE family, but that didn't seem to work.
Over the weekend though, she sat me down and gave me one of her old cookbooks (handwritten, of course) and inside was her famous cornbread recipe!! SCORE!
I'm sharing it with you because I truly think cooking is the way to make friends...so get a pen and paper and prepare to be wowed!
What You'll Need
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup Domino white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Morton salt
How To Make It
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan.
- Melt butter in large skillet. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.